[Sca-cooks] More adventures in the Turkish deli (OP)

Christiane christianetrue at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 5 10:03:53 PDT 2004

 Having just got paid, a made my way to the deli this weekend to see what I could pick up. I bought:

That yummy feta-like cheese, which is called peyniri. I asked for a pound, received the whole damn block, paid the price for a pound. I've been eating it this week with cucumber, dill, tomato, and onion salad, which it goes very well with.

Harisa, Moroccan hot sauce. I loooooove this stuff, with lemon and olive chicken. Will also use it to make chickpea soup. Also picked up a jar for a friend.

Soujouk, a spicy dried beef sausage. Shaped like a kielbasa, but tastes akin to American beefstick sausages. Very good with cheese.

Pickled green tomatoes.

Fresh bread.

Tahin -- which tastes better in a glass jar rather than a tin can, in my opinion.

The deli owner's dad and I talked about the weather, volunteered to take my bag to my car, and then as I was walking out, ran out after me and gave me some marshmallow cookies.

Gianotta