[Sca-cooks] GMO

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 7 09:48:34 PDT 2004

A simple web search would show that GMO, in relation to food, stands
for "Genetically Modified Organism". If one buys certain types of
products (especially those containing soy or soy-derived
ingredients), the packaging may say that it contains only non-GMO
(food stuff). To the best of my knowledge the most commonly
genetically modified foodstuffs (with genes not from the original
organism) are soy, canola, and corn - there are others.

Some folks argue that selective breeding is a form of genetic
modification, which it is, but that is not what GMO means these days.
GMO food plants have genetic material from very different organisms
than the original, whereas selective breeding just involves varieties
of the specific organism.

GMO soy, canola, and corn, if i recall correctly, are genetically
modified to be "Round-Up ready" (Round-Up being a very specific
pesticide) - there may be other differences i don't remember - and
well over 50 per cent of soy, canola, and corn grown in the US are
genetically modified and they are in the food supply. Genetically
modified foods do not have to be so labeled in the USA.

This may or may not make a difference to people. I was only reporting
what was on the SoyNut Butter label. I bought the product in a
regular supermarket.

Whether or not GMOs are good or neutral or evil is not an argument
that can be easily resolved at this time. Many people have strong
feelings one way or another and the "discussion" of GMOs usually
turns into a flame war from all sides.

I would rather debate the merits of Twinkies or Lime Jello
Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise or Lutheran Binder on this list -
topics about which we can retain our senses of humor - and leave
arguing about GMOs to other lists.

Anahita