[Sca-cooks] pigeons and small birds

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 8 09:02:22 PDT 2004

My experience has been that pine nuts very less in general flavor and more
in oilyness.  My personal favorite is pinon nuts (P. edulis) which I find to
have a little crisper texture than some of the other pine nuts I can get.

As a small aside, the Stone pine and the pinon pine, are the major species
producing umbrella and pinon nuts.  Commercial interests also collect nuts
from other species of pines (whose nuts may have textural differences to the
primary species) and market them as umbrella and pinon nuts.

Bear