[Sca-cooks] Taster, Supertaster?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 10 11:24:00 PDT 2004

I took the test on the BBC site and it was inconclusive. I assume i
am really not a supertaster because i like most of the foods they
said supertasters dislike (grapefruit, spinach, coffee...).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/body/interactives/supertaster/

Now to try this at home...

----- From the BBC website -----
Test your tastebuds

Conduct a simple scientific experiment to find out whether you have a
supertaster tongue or not. All you need is:

     * Food colouring
     * Cotton buds
     * Reinforcement rings for hole-punched paper
     * Magnifying glass

Tongues of different taster types (there were photos here...)

This is what you need to do:

    1. Using a cotton bud, swab some food colouring on to the tip of your tongue
    2. Place a reinforcement ring on your tongue
    3. Count the pink dots within the reinforcement ring. This may be
easier with a magnifying glass

The pink dots are your fungiform papillae. They don't take up the
food colouring. These papillae are the tiny bumps on your tongue that
house your taste buds. The more papillae you have, the more taste
buds you have and the more sensitive to taste you are. On average,
non-tasters have fewer than 15 papillae in that area, while
supertasters have over 30.

Hmmm, i have a problem. I don't have any food coloring. I like food
the color it is...

Anahita