[Sca-cooks] OOP/OT: Wurgles?

Dani flannelbutch at comcast.net
Mon Aug 16 07:51:56 PDT 2004

Ok, I have a somewhat better description of wurgles, the PA Dutch recipe
that continues to elude me.

Holly sez:

on the wurgels (wergels? wergles?) front... all i remember is that they
were /[dumplings]/ made of mashed potatoes (w/ some flour to help them
take a shape?),
then baked with lots of butter and milk on top. it sort of resorbed into
the potatoes, so there were pockets of dairy goodness, and it was
dappled-brown on top. major carb-heaven.

I have vague recollections of this food from my own childhood, although
I don't remember it being called wurgles (Holly and I grew up in the
same area of the Lehigh Valley, PA).  If anyone out there has heard
of/eaten this, and/or knows how to make it, I'd greatly appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Iuliana