[Sca-cooks] OOP/OT: Wurgles?

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 16 12:41:34 PDT 2004

I have looked and looked for something even
remotely called "wurgels", but I can't find any
thing near that name in any Pennsylvania Dutch
cookbook that I own.  I do own several.

However, after reading the description given
below, I do have a recipe for mashed potato
pancakes.  My mother, who was born and raised in
Buffalo, NY, used to make us mashed potato
pancakes all the time.

MASHED POTATO PANCAKES
6 large potatoes, diced, boiled and mashed
(approx. 6 cups)
4 eggs , well beaten
2 Tbsp milk
3 Tbsp Flour
1 tsp Salt

DIRECTIONS;
Mix all ingredients together. Melt butter in a
large frying pan. Drop mixture by spoonfuls into
the hot butter and flatten to desired thickness.
My mom usually made them 3/8 inch thick.  Cook
until browned on one side, turn and brown the
other side. Place on a plate and keep warm in a
low oven while you are cooking the rest.  Serve
with butter or with apple sauce [if used for
breakfast] or with a cheese sauce [if used for
supper].

You can also substitute cottage cheese for the
milk, for another interesting flavor.

Yummmm.  That reminds me of many suppers we had
with bratwurst, mashed potato pancakes and a
hot vegetable.

Huette

--- Dani <flannelbutch at comcast.net> wrote:

> Ok, I have a somewhat better description of
> wurgles, the PA Dutch recipe
> that continues to elude me.
>
> Holly sez:
>
> on the wurgels (wergels? wergles?) front... all
> i remember is that they
> were /[dumplings]/ made of mashed potatoes (w/
> some flour to help them
> take a shape?),
> then baked with lots of butter and milk on top.
> it sort of resorbed into
> the potatoes, so there were pockets of dairy
> goodness, and it was
> dappled-brown on top. major carb-heaven.
>

> I have vague recollections of this food from my
> own childhood, although
> I don't remember it being called wurgles (Holly
> and I grew up in the
> same area of the Lehigh Valley, PA).  If anyone
> out there has heard
> of/eaten this, and/or knows how to make it, I'd
> greatly appreciate the info.
>
> Thanks,
> Iuliana

=====