[Sca-cooks] mise-en-place

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 26 12:00:55 PDT 2004

Before I ask my question, let me confess that people like me should not
be allowed to read Kitchen Confidential. Especially the first week of
school, with the psycho Family Wedding coming up, screaming scandals,
and of course the [19th century british racial slur] cop who ignored the
idiot who pulled out in front of me without looking and no turn signal
in order to stop me for not having the right registration on my license
plate and then wouldn't let me look for my paperwork in the back of the
car....

but anyway, I was reading his comments about mis-en-place. I'd never
really thought about it, associating it with people who scream bloody
murder when some prankish sous-chef moves their olive oil 2 inches to
the left in order to watch their heads explode...

but it seems to me that the concept of mise-en-place obviously could be
somewhat adapted to SCA feast kitchens beyond that... certainly the
chain of events at my feast that ended up making us switch the feast
courses and nearly poison someone because they read the menu and drank
lemon drink which they thought was sekanjabin, was partly because nobody
could find anything and when they did find it, they moved it someplace
else and we began the Great Spice and Equipment Hunt all over again.

For those of you who are familiar with the whole concept, advice on
applying that sort of thing to SCA feast kitchens-- and advice on
organizing your feast kitchen-- is what I'm looking to hear.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"