[Sca-cooks] Re: Brotherton Library and York

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Sat Aug 28 09:19:52 PDT 2004

Faerisa wrote:
> This is wonderful!  Now I'm really jealous, since I'm playing with
sugarpaste
> as part of my subtleties interest.  Any chance of pictures?  The rest of
us
> will be living vicariously through you ;-)

I will be taking my camera and will most certainly try for photos.  My
current camera refuses to take pictures from time to time, but the camera
shop couldn't find any problem (although they weren't using film).  If it
jams in York, I may well get another one.  Now, here's where I'm thinking
crazy...  I found Ivan Day's website ("Historic Food") and discovered that
he offers a series of classes using historic techniques.  One is for sugar
paste and confections, another is for bakery - pies, breads, etc.  There's
also one on roasting/grilling meats on open fires.  I'm trying to figure
out if I can afford another trip next year since one of the sugar classes
isn't yet filled.  Cost is between $400 and $500 for a weekend, not
including lodging.  I may be retired, but I'm not wealthy but... I think
I'll start saving up.  No more jaunts for meals out, fewer book purchases,
no more garb...

Alys Katharine, dreaming