[Sca-cooks] Interesting period words

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 31 04:42:55 PDT 2004

Kindly don't apologize for disagreeing.  I know that there are holes and
misinformation in "what I know," and I learn more from errors and arguments
than having people agree with me.

What really interests me about this question is not the meaning of "estre"
words but the fact that they seem to move from a gender specific to a
non-gender specific.  Modern English is (other than some specific suffixs)
gender neutral, while other Germanic languages are gender specific.  Since
these languages are believed to derive from a common root, when did the
difference in gender occur?  How?  Why?

Bear