[Sca-cooks] Re:frangipangi

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Aug 1 14:07:58 PDT 2004

Also sprach Stefan li Rous:
>Okay, now I'm a bit confused.
>Mairi's description seems to be separate wafers spread with a layer
>of marzipan, while I read the recipe that Doc gave as wafers forming
>the crust of a pie, or tart since it has no top, but with enough
>filling that the individual wafers are no longer that evident or at
>least you can't pick the individual wafers up and eat them that way.
>I envision the marzipan layer on Mairi's recipe to be 1/8 to 1/4
>inch thick, but the other to be half an inch thick.

Why are you envisioning this? Just wondering; I hadn't given that
aspect of it much thought. I believe both interpretations are coming
from the same tradition (I think the actual recipe is in Welserin or
one of the other German sources). In either case, you're spreading
marzipan onto a pre-cooked wafer as a means of keeping the marzipan
from sticking to the oven bottom and burning. Marzipan, between the
oils, the starches, and the sugar, just loves to burn, and even when
it browns too quickly it can acquire an over-caramelized, bitter
flavor. You really do have to be careful with it when you cook it. As
I recall the German recipe in question says you spread out as many
wafers as you need to cover an area as large as you want to spread
your marzipan, overlapping them as necessary to cover the area fully
without gaps.

It's possible Maire's (?) version used small wafers and made
single-serving marzipan "tartlets", and Doc's version a larger,
multi-wafer variant on the same thing. I think the German recipe says
to make the marzipan as thick as your finger, but I could be wrong
about that. The impression I get is that you want the stuff to dry to
a sort of shortbread consistency without burning or even browning too
much, so having it too thick would be a problem, and having it too
thin might also encourage burning.

>Am I missing something? Both sound wonderful, though.

I'm not seeing them as hugely different...

>Is torte = tart = topless pie, correct?

You may be expecting too much out of cognate words here. Yeah, the
word "torte" is basically a pie or cake with a pastry outside
(generally, but not always), but it's not really exactly like a tart
in the modern sense, in which it's a single-crust pie. It's more like
two words whose definitions partially intersect or overlap, even
though they come from the same roots (as, allegedly, does the word
"tortoise", also the French crab that looks like a Dungeness but is
called a torteau, and the torteau that is a cheesecake).

Sometimes there's only reality, and the reality is that logic can
only take us so far ;-).

Scary, ain't it?

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04