[Sca-cooks] Banana leaves (was Dinner last night (long, OP))

Avraham haRofeh avrahamharofeh at herald.sca.org
Mon Aug 2 15:22:37 PDT 2004

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:36:10 -0500, Michael Gunter
<countgunthar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Okay. This is something that looks good in theory but you wonder about
> the execution.
> Now, Rick Bayless made this look easy so it should be. I took the banana
> leaves and soaked
> them in boiling water. Then had the grill set to medium. I laid the
> leaves on the grill and
> then placed the fish right on top. Close the grill and let cook for 10
> minutes.
> When the grill was opened there was burned banana leaves everywhere. But
> the fish
> was perfect. I'm not sure if that is what Rick intended but the fish
> didn't burn through and the leaves didn't stick to the grill.

I'd suggest wrapping the fish in the banana leaves. You won't have exposed
ends to burn, and you keep a bit more moisture in the fish.

Reb Avraham haRofeh
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
Quarterly azure and argent, four mascles counterchanged
Random Tag: Your enemy is never a villain in his own eyes. Keep this in mind; it may offer a way to make him your friend. If not, you can kill him without hate - and
quickly. - [Lazarus Long]