[Sca-cooks] Allergies was Beans, beans, the musical fruit....

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 4 14:14:42 PDT 2004

Yes - some of the reaction against peanuts is a bit odd. Yes, we need to
raise awareness - it is a more common allergy than people used to
realize. Yes, it can be quite violent. But... Nuts are also a common
severe allergy. I have a friend who is equally violently allergic to the
sesame seeds being proposed as a substitute. And my mother went into
anaphylactic shock from cucumbers...

I taught just before the peanut obsession began. In six years I had one
child with a mild allergy to peanuts, and one with a severe one. In the
first case, I obviously didn't use peanut butter in anything we made in
class, but otherwise not much fuss was made. In the second, we did ask
parents not to send anything with peanuts for parties, etc., and checked
again when anything came in, in case someone forgot. But we didn't ban
them from the classroom for other children's lunch. The child knew not
to eat anything from any other kid without checking with me first (they
weren't supposed to anyway, but you know children - this one understood
how serious this was, and cooperated) and we had an epi pen and the
consent form... and we never had any problem.

Peanuts aren't the only allergy. We had a child allergic (not violently,
luckily) to apples. Have you any idea how many products use apple juice?
Especially the all natural ones?? We had several who were lactose
intolerant in varying degrees. We had a child on an elimination diet for
a while, working to identify the cause of seizures... had to be *very*
careful with that one. But we could hardly change room regs every week
or so, to ban whatever they were trying now... we just were very careful
about what the child ate.

Rather than focus on one item across the board, I'd rather do what we
did - find out all major health issues, and work from there. Most of the
time, with most groups, there are no issues. When there is one, it
doesn't matter if it is Allergen of the Month or not - it needs to be
addressed.

AEllin