[Sca-cooks] Allergies was Beans, beans, the musical fruit....

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 4 14:49:27 PDT 2004

<snip AEllin's very reasonable missive on allergies in the classroom)

	You make some very good points.  I am planning on having all the parents
fill in a questionare on registration day that will include a place for
allergies.  Here is the relevant portion of the class description:
"Each class will have some tasting involved, with a Natural Food Picnic on
the final class day.  If students have allergies, please notify the teacher
in advance.  This will allow the instructor to help the student to be
selective about food samples, as well as enabling the instructor to tailor
the lessons for particular needs.  (Many people are allergic or reactive to
the same types of foods, so don’t be shy about speaking up!)"

	It really wasn't my intention to avoid all allergies, but I know a lot of
folks are hyper-sensitive about the peanut one right now, so I'm trying to
think ahead.  If they have a severe sesame allergy and everyone loves
peanuts, I'll adapt.  I've taught a version of this class to adults for 5
years, but I'm working on expanding it and adapting it for a slightly
younger audience.  I will also be adding internet links for further reading
on each topic (INTRODUCTION TO NATURAL FOODS, GRAINS, BEANS, FRUITS AND
VEGETABLES, SWEETENERS AND THICKENERS, VITAMINS, MINERALS & SUPPLEMENTS,
OILS AND FATS, ORGANIC & NATURAL FOODS), so all the bean pics are great!
	I'll be doing more research when I get back, I'm off to Pennsic in 36 hours
or so!
	Christianna