[Sca-cooks] More adventures in the Turkish deli (OP)

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 5 13:49:45 PDT 2004

Also sprach lilinah at earthlink.net:
>In high school, my boyfriend was jealous because a shop worker who
>spoke very little English in a Greek food store in Chicago slipped
>me some nougat and dried apricots (directly into my mouth - this is
>traditional)

This appears to be a sort of Brehon Law equivalent for Greek
hospitality, the feeding of sweets directly into the mouth of an
arriving guest. Possibly akin to Bram Stoker's "Enter freely, and
leave behind some of the happiness you bring..." Okay, so it's a
Balkan thing, perhaps.

But if you look at a Greek cookbook, there's often a section of
sweets whose generic name can be translated into English as "spoon
sweets", generally little fruits or fruit bits preserved in a heavy,
marmalade-like syrup.  This is how they're generally used, as a
guarantee that the guest will experience sweetness and happiness from
the instant they arrive in your home.

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04