[Sca-cooks] Potterheads, Unite!

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Fri Aug 6 15:20:59 PDT 2004

At 08:49 AM 8/6/2004 -0700, Selene wrote:

>Laura C. Minnick wrote:
>
>>Of course we don't know what will happen in the last two books. Who will
>>die? who will survive? Will there be anybody we care about left to go on?
>>
>>Ok- lets take a poll!
>>
>>         Who will die in Book 6?
>>
>>         _Harry

Title for Year 7: _Harry Potter and the Hereafter_? :-)

>>         _Hermione

She'd better not.

>>         _Dumbledore

The most likely one, in my opinion. He's the one Voldemort most wants to
defeat by any means possible, and Voldemort thinks that the worst thing he
can do to someone is to kill them.

>>         _Remus Lupin
>>         _Minerva McGonnegal
>>         _a Weasley
>>                 _Ron

He can't die. He still has to become Head Boy.

>>                 _Arthur
>>                 _Molly
>>                 _Percy

Percy seems to have been making all the wrong friends, and has a knack for
getting himself into trouble by seeming to play it safe. That could prove
to be fatal.

>>                 _one or both of the twins
>>                 _Bill
>>                 _Charlie
>>                 _Ginny

She can't die. Who would Harry turn to when his romance with Luna doesn't
work out? :-)

>>         _Fudge
>>         _Snape
>>         _Draco

I think not. He's a leader for the next generation of bad guys.

>>         _Neville

If he dies before the end of the conflict, I expect it will be just before
the end.

>>         _Vernon Dursley
>>         _Petunia Dursley
>>         _Dudley Dursley
>>         _Kingsley Shaklebolt
>>         _Unamed Hufflepuff (good redshirt material, don't you think?)

Been done. And not just any Hufflepuff either, but a practically perfect
Hufflepuff.

As for Hagrid, I fully expect him to be around in Year 7. He and his
magical creatures even seem likely to play a large role in that story.

>The big question is:  Book 6 is called HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD
>PRINCE.  Who is that?  JKR has stated that it is [1] neither Harry nor
>Voldie, and [2] someone who appeared in Chamber of Secrets.

My best guess is Godric Gryffindor. He was referred to in CoS, but his
story was barely touched on. Also, we're going to see the Hogwarts
graveyard soon, and he seems like one person very likely to be buried there.

>My money is on Hagrid.  Half-blood, even if the other half is not Muggle
>but Giant.  This would explain why master manipulator Dumbledore kept a
>close eye on this drop-out ex-convict, wouldn't it?
>
>Also:  the Wizarding World is a bit short on titled nobility.  "Lord" V.
>was a self-bestowed title;  then there are the Bloody Baron and Sir
>Nicholas "Nearly Headless Nick" amongst the ghost population.  That's
>about it.  Where is there a Princedom in the Wizarding World?  Did
>Princess Di have some 'splaining to do?  Her second son was Prince Harry
>after all.  Hmmm.

I suspect that wizards no longer have much use for titles of nobility,
because that's a Muggle thing. The pure-blood bigots call themselves
"nature's nobility" (implying that they look down on man-made nobility),
while the rest remain too involved in Wizarding society to be interested in
trying to claim any rank among the Muggles.

But they might have used the same titles as Muggles during the middle ages.

--
Alex Clark/Henry of Maldon