[Sca-cooks] I'm back for the Lutheran Hot Dish Discussions

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Fri Aug 6 19:55:19 PDT 2004

At 07:32 PM 8/6/2004, you wrote:
>Thank you.
>
>So far, it's Harry Potter, which I haven't read (OK! I give up! I'll read
>the damn thing! LOL...) and Siege cooking, which I don't do...

Ahhh... come to the Magic Side! Be prepared- the first book reads like a
children's novel, which it was. Harry is 11 then. The maturity of the books
advances as the hero ages- in _Prisoner of Azkaban_ (Book 3), for instance,
Harry is *very* 13, and facing the attendant challenges of identity and
self even as he worries about a mad killer who is apparently out to make
him a victim. By _Order of the Phoenix_ (Book 5, and a genuine doorstop at
870 pages) he is dealing with incredible battles within and without- full
adolescent rage combined with multiple assaults from every direction,
including losing loved ones. (Personally, I found Book 4, _Goblet of Fire_
to be my favorite, in part for JKR's generous doses of humour throughout,
and in large part to some of the strongest , most human writing I've
encountered in some time. The scene in the graveyard near the end had me...
well, ever been at a movie were in a suspenseful scene you forgot to
breathe? Imagine it in a BOOK.)

Hie thee to a library! Or to a bookstore! Today!

Quote of the Day- "Can I look at Uranus too. Lavender?" Ron Weasley

heh.

'Lainie