[Sca-cooks] Re: What would you do?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Aug 9 12:58:07 PDT 2004

When doing a feast, I provide a feast proposal with a general menu and
budget.  If it is accepted, the document constitutes a contract between me
and the group  (I don't know if any of the officers realize this, but it
gives me grounds to sue in small claims court to recover any monies up to
the budget limit of the proposal).  I work funding directly with the
Treasurer.  The autocrat has no real control over my operation and I
actively take control of everything surrounding the feast and put together a
crew to handle it.  Experienced autocrats (which are most of the ones I work
with) stay out of my way because I have a track record of profitable
successes and it is just that much they don't have to deal with.  I have
control, but I listen to all suggestions and I work with the autocrat to
ensure a successful event.

Any autocrat who tried to stick me with planned expenses because they
screwed up the budgeting for the event would probably experience the full
abrasiveness of my personality at a populace meeting.  An event is a group
function and the profit or loss of the event should be borne by the group
unless prior arrangements are made with individuals who will foot the bills
(Several of us in tmy barony have footed the money for an event and been
paid back from the proceeds).  Trying to gloss over their financial failings
by extorting money out of the cooks are the hallmarks of a liar, cheat and
thief.

At present, I'm working on a feast for 260 at a cost of $5/plate and a price
of $7/plate.  I expect to make between break even and a $200 profit.  If I
can do some creative purchasing, I may be able to increase the profit
margin.  Since the barony has experienced some monetary losses earlier this
year, any profits from my feast will go to replenish the baronial coffers.

Bear

>Boy howdy.  I couldn't do it. I wouldn't do it.  Not ever again.  We had
our feast budget cut in half this past year after we had done most of our
precooks and spent most of the money.  Both head-cooks were forced into
footing about $50 each as our 'donation'.

>I'm never doing a feast for less than $6 a head to spend again.  If your
autocrat will only allow you to spend $3 a head - kindly explain that you
can't even buy a meal at McDonalds for that price.  And most of the value
meals at McDonalds are almost $5 each.  And if he/she continues to insist on
$3 then serve soup, bread, and maybe a chicken and a cheap veggie - like
peas or carrots, and shortbread for dessert.

>Don't even bother trying to do make it into a three-course meal. It's
guaranteed to make you upset. You're a volunteer, not a freaking
mircle-worker. Especially when you are not allowed to shop for
sales/bargins.