[Sca-cooks] Irish Festival Feast Report

Sharon Palmer ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 9 18:31:45 PDT 2004

>On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:22:29 -0400
>  Sharon Palmer <ranvaig at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>
>>Littiu - Oat Pudding
>
>any chance of a recipe?

It's not my recipe but one from our Authenticity
Officer, Tigernach mka Stephan Hayes
--- My working recipe was:
Oat Pudding (Littiú)
2 c coarsely ground oats (run lightly through a food processor)
2 c milk, 1/2 tsp salt or to taste, egg yolks (optional), butter
Heat milk to the simmering point without boiling,
so that small bubbles form around the rim of the
pot. Add oats and salt. If you wish to make it
even richer, you can add the egg yolks, well
beaten, to the mixture.  Pour the mixture into
greased bowl or fireproof dish, and set it,
covered, by the fire for about 45 minutes,
turning it regularly so that it cooks evenly and
solidly.  Or bake at 300°.  As it cooks, it will
pull away from the bowl a bit.

---- And the original:

The other thing I think you're looking for is
'Littiú", which is described as a porridge but to
my mind is more like a steamed pudding.

Ingredients:
Oats , coarsely ground (I have used rolled oats
mashed up in a mortar, or run lightly through a
food processor for this).
Milk
Salt to taste
Egg yolks (optional)
Butter

Method:
Heat a quantity of milk to the simmering point
without boiling, so that small bubbles form
around the rim of the pot.  Remove the pot from
the heat. Take an equal volume of the coarsely
ground oats, and makes them with the milk, adding
a bit of salt.  For 2 c. of oats I use about one
half teaspoon of salt. If you wish to make it
even richer, you can add the egg yolks, well
beaten, to the mixture.  When the batter is
smooth, pour the mixture into greased bowl or
fireproof dish, and set it, covered, by the fire
for about 45 minutes, turning it regularly so
that it cooks evenly and solidly.  In a regular
kitchen, you could simply put this in a low oven
(300°).  As it cooks, it will pull away from the
bowl a bit.

It can be cut in wedges in the bowl, or turned
out onto a plate.  It's delicious as is, savory
with salt, and scrumptious when accompanied by
rich cream and drizzled honey.  I imagine it
could be used as a side dish with gravy as well.
I have also thought of cutting up the bowl of
this into cubes sprinkling it liberally with bits
of butter and hard cheese, and setting it to bake
by the fire. The dish is described in books of
monastic rules, and is prescribed in the Brehon
law as the appropriate food with which noble
hostages and foster sons are nourished by right.

Notice that this is radically different from a
porridge.  In ordinary porridge, the proportions
are four volumes of water to one of oatmeal,
while this one is equal volume is of milk and
oatmeal.  It sets up quite firmly. Too fine an
oatmeal makes for a gluey product.

Tigernach mac Eóghain ua Áeda