[Sca-cooks] Re: What would you do?

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Aug 10 11:39:30 PDT 2004

> >I have had the foodservice college training thing, and have been
> >asking folks who do a lot of feasts "What food cost percentage do
> >you use?" (textbook suggestion for commercial restaurants averages
> >30%, more for upscale places).  Most folks have a system that works
> >for them, but not an actual number, so this was really helpful.
>
> That's the suggestion for a restaurant, but that includes a great
> deal of overhead that SCA feast cooks don't have to pay for, at least
> not out of their budgets.

But it's an interesting question to ask autocrats.

For instance, by my calculations, food for our SRWar camp is about
25-30% of the cost of the event, including staff food. (The single
biggest event cost is portapotties and the dumpster we rent.)

For Emmaus fair, we budgeted about 46% food cost, but with due to
factors of pricing, it was about 57%.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"I don't want to claim that God is on our side. As Abraham Lincoln told
us, I want to pray humbly that we are on God's side." - John Kerry