[Sca-cooks] Re: What would you do?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Aug 10 16:31:45 PDT 2004

>Just because inquiring minds always want to know, and I am sure you are too
far away for me to make it to your feast this time, what are you thinking of
serving?

>Samrah

Since you ask, here is the feast proposal as presented to the baronial
finance committee.  It may give you some ideas.

With commodity food prices up the way they are I expect the costs to be
close to $5/person.  The drinks are not particularly proper for the proposed
feast, but the days when I could serve beer or wine are long gone.

Bear

Proposal for the Protectorate Feast, October, 2004

Tentative Menu for an Italian Feast
Prepared from 15th Century Sources

Bread and condiments to be upon the table

First Course

Carbonata (Fried Ham)
Roasted Onion Salad
Apple Sauce

Second Course

Zanzarelli or Vermicelli (served in broth)
(decision to be made after experimentation)

Third Course

Limonia (Chicken in Lemon Sauce) or Chicken in Orange Sauce
Brodo of Fish (Sweet and Sour Fish)
Kidney Beans (Black-eyed Peas in period context)
Peas with Salt Pork
Bread

Final Course

Baked Cheese Bread

Drinks

Cider
Lemonade
Water

Comments:

The menu is predicated on the use of the kitchen at Camp Cimarron.  A
different kitchen may require a different menu.

The menu may also change if there are problems with the recipe tests or if
prices become prohibitive for any of the ingredients.

A green vegetable may be added to the first course if an appropriate recipe
can be found.  Any additions must fall within the budget constraints.

Budget and Pricing Considerations

The feast is planned for 272 people; 224 paid seats, 48 comped seats.
Comped seats are for the Crown, the Baron & Baroness, Protectors, Queens of
Love & Beauty, Rapier Champions, etc. as per custom.  Should the custom be
terminated, 40 comped seats can be eliminated or retained as paid seats.

Comped seats not claimed can be sold at the gate to help offset the costs.
For this reason, comped seats should be RSVP.  If comped attendance goes
above 48, the RSVPs will allow us to plan for the increase rather than
handle the problem on the fly.

Due to the nature of the feast and the number of comped attendees, I
recommend a price of $7.00/person with no discounts.  If all 224 paid seats
are filled, the gross income will be $1568.00.

The above menu is estimated as costing $4.00/person.  Price changes could
send this as high as $5.00/person.  Based on the $5.00/person cost, the
feast will cost $1360.00.  At the high cost the feast will require 195 paid
attendees to break even..  At $4.00/person, break even is at 155 paid
attendees.

It is possible to raise the price per seat and lower the break even point,
but I believe if we go above $7.00, we will start losing the marginal
buyers.  At $8.00 per plate, break even for the highest cost would be 170
paid attendees.

I am willing to prepare this feast for 272 attendees with a budgetary cap of
$1360.00 ($5.00/per person).  To reduce the costs, I would require a cash
advance of $300.00 by August 1.  The advanced monies would be replenished up
to the budgetary limit as I present receipts to the Treasurer.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Baric Firehand