[Sca-cooks] Stuffed grape leaves

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 15 00:39:09 PDT 2004

Here, courtesy of the Florilegium;

>Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 16:49:06 CEST
>From: "Christina van Tets" <cjvt at hotmail.com>
>Subject: SC - vine leaves
>
>There is actually a recipe for stuffed vine leaves not long out of period
>(ie. 60 years or so) in the English corpus. Lady Ann Blencowe, IIRC,
>included them in her collection, headed 'To make a delma'. You can find
>this quoted in Elisabeth Ayrton's 'Cookery of England'.

SNIP

Not sure which 60 years this is. While officially the SCA ends at the
end of the year 1600, there are still some places that assume the end
is 1650. So this recipe is either from around 1660 or 1710.

Let me note that in many places things are REALLY different by 1650
from 1600, so that span of time is hugely significant (hey, how
different are we from 1950...)

-----
Pause while i surf the net...
-----

OK, a little searching turned up that her cookbook was assembled
around 1694, but this recipe does not appear to be on-line. And it
has been published.

If you find Lady Ann's recipe, could you post it, please? I'm
certainly curious...

Anahita