[Sca-cooks] Ann Blencowe Recipe Book: was: Stuffed Grape Leaves

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sun Aug 15 10:22:14 PDT 2004

The recipe book is currently available from Provincial Press Books for
$21.00   for those who might be interested.   - Regina

 http://www.provincialpress.us/index.html
~*~
http://www.provincialpress.us/Books%20for%20the%20Trade.htm

The Receipt Book of

Mrs. Ann Blencowe

Anno Domine 1694

Introduction by George Saintsbury   ~   Preface by Leander W. Smith

With an Essay by Robert de Berardinis

        So accustomed are we to using the term ‘receipt book’ as a synonym
for ‘accounting ledger’ that we pass by those early tomes wherein the
homemakers of yesteryear wrote their instructions for the preparation of
food and the curing of ills. Such are the contents of this book.” So reads
the preface to this collectable volume. The manuscript on which the first
edition is based was compiled in the year 1694 in England’s Parliamentary
jurisdiction of Brackley. Mrs. Blencowe, née Anne Wallis, was born in 1657,
into a family of upper middle-class society.

       The compilation contains over eighty “Household Receipts.” Sack
Posset, Shaking Pudding, Pickled Walnuts, Flummery, Hashed Calves Head,
Hodge Podge, Sillabub, Rabbit Pie, and “Pickle Lila” {Piccalilli} are
samplings. Among some sixty entries in the section named “Phisical Receipts”
are: For the Green Sickness, For Shrunken Sinews, Drink for the Spleen, High
Spirited Pills, Blessed Pills, The King’s Evil – and Horse Dung Water, which
was prescribed for “women in labor
for Agues and feavers and distemper.”

      An essay on George Saintsbury, the renowned early twentieth-century
literary critic and connoisseur, who provided an introduction for the first
edition in 1925, details the man’s passion for fine wines. Comments by one
of today’s well-known experts on the world of wine are featured.

 Reprint.  77 pages, 8½ x 11. Wrappers. Item no. BL2. $21.00.