[Sca-cooks] Stuffed grape leaves

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 15 13:14:46 PDT 2004

--- Johnna Holloway
<johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu> wrote:

> To Make a Delma.
> Take the Lean meat of Loyn of mutton and as
> much beef Suet,
> shread it small as for force meat. Then put the
> smae quanity of
> Rice boyld tender, season it with sweet herbs,
> salt & pepper, & a
> little nutmeg; then mix it all together and
> brake in one or two
> eggs according to the quantity of your meat.
> Then take Cabbage
> or vine leaves and dip them in hot water, then
> role the meat in ye
> leaves about the bigness of a small Cucumber,
> and tye them with
> course thread, put them into a stewpan with
> gravey, put them over
>  a gentle fire cover'd. Let them stew till they
> be thoroughly done,
> then take them out and take off the thread,
> thicken the gravey
> the yolk of an egg and pour it over your meat.
> page 29.
>
> The Receipt Book of Ann Blencowe. This is from
> the Adelphi Limited edition
> from 1925 which I own. The manuscript carries a
> date of 1694, but Ann was
> born in 1656 and married in 1675. I suspect
> that this was compiled for one
> of her daughters upon a marriage. The mss
> remained in the family and the
> 1925 edition
> is the first time that it was published. There
> was another edition done
> later, but
> it's not as nice as this one. Neither is very
> available.
>
> You guys lucked out--- We are leaving in an
> hour for the War. I just
> signed on to check mail.
>
> Johnnae llyn Lewis

I would say that this recipe makes dolma way out
of period for Europe, but possibly speculatively
in period for the Middle East.  The problem being
that 100 years can see a lot of change within
a region, even in the Middle East.  I believe
that the Ottoman Empire chefs started a lot of
traditional foods that we associate with Middle
Eastern foods today, but that aren't really
appropriate for the SCA time frame.  I suspect
that dolma could be one of these.  I know that
baklava is another.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.