[Sca-cooks] froggie cuisine

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 19 12:57:11 PDT 2004

Also sprach aeduin:

>Quoting from Master A.
>>However, I've never seen frogs in any Asian restaurant (bearing in
>>mind, of course, that I don't live in Asia) except in the form of
>>legs.
>>
>>Adamantius, whose otherwise much-beloved lady wife saw fit to make
>>fowl-and-frog-leg soup over the weekend, allegedly for medicinal
>>purposes
>
>I believe that falls into the category of "get well or I make it again" food.
>
>aeduin who has part of his family from Sichuan province.

Except I was the one that _was_ well! As far as I can tell, at least
some Chinese herbal medicine is extremely simple sympathetic magic.
Something wrong with your leg, eat a witch's br... I mean, soup, made
from some swift critter's leg. With, of course, added herbs (there
were the ones that looked like tongue depressors, which I think are
dong guai, not to be confused with dung gua, which is winter melon,
plus some other stuff which mighta been low-grade ginseng, and red
raisins, which are sorta like tiny jujubes without noticeable pits),
and, of course, the ubiquitous black mushrooms.

Mostly you drink the broth, pick at the chicken and a frog leg for
form's sake, eat the mushrooms, a couple of the roots, and pretend
you're not actually subsisting on rice and the sausages you wisely
had the foresight to steam on top of the rice...

It was a good sign when I discovered this morning that four quarts of
the soup had been transferred to the freezer for long-term storage...

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04