[Sca-cooks] Taster, Supertaster?

Sandra Kisner sjk3 at cornell.edu
Mon Aug 16 07:40:16 PDT 2004

>I took the test on the BBC site and it was inconclusive. I assume i am
>really not a supertaster because i like most of the foods they said
>supertasters dislike (grapefruit, spinach, coffee...).

I took it, and came out midway, part supertaster, part regular.  But I know
I can taste PROP (and it is *EVIL*!) - the research is out of Cornell,
where I work, and I took part in a test some time ago.  I knew I could
taste PTC (the test kids use in science class as part of learning about
genetics), and figured I would taste PROP, but wasn't prepared for how
awful it was.  Neither was the person who was administering the test to
me.  :-)   She had to warn the person waiting to be next to pay no
attention.  I was able to rein in my response to later samples (I think
they were weaker concentrations, but I can no longer remember).  I suspect
you're right, and it is a case of liking some foods in spite of it.  I love
dark chocolate and spinach, and hate coffee and beer.  You never know!

Sandra (running behind)