[Sca-cooks] Seeking bread recipe

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 19 06:35:39 PDT 2004

Terry Decker wrote:

>Rather than "dildos," try "false phalluses."   Bread phalluses ("obeliai" -
>spit-like things) were carried by the "obeliaphoroi" in the grand procession
>as offerings to Dionysus during Dionysia.  Similar bread phalluses may have
>been worn or eaten during Dionysia, but I doubt they were used in the manner
>suggested by "dildo."
>
>I haven't seen a recipe for these, but I speculate they would have been a
>leavened bread of wheat or a mixture of wheat and barley, as a baker would
>like to have his members swell.  One needs to remember this is a male
>fertility god, who can whither your penis if he is displeased, so a good
>rise would probably be a pleasing occurence.  A standard bread recipe of
>flour, water, salt and yeast would probably suffice, if you can't find an
>actual recipe.
>
>Also present at these festivals were "plakon," small cakes and pastries made
>with spices, honey and cream cheese, in the shape of phalluses.  Similar
>cakes in the shape of female genitalia and breasts appear in relation to the
>worship of Persephone and Aphrodite.
>
>The sites listed below provide a little more information about Dionysia for
>the curious.
>
>Bear

While I am unfamiliar with this aspect of Greek celebrations, I do know
that the god Shiva was frequently worshipped in an alternate form of a
phallus...in fact, temples containg carvings of this aspect were usually
defaced more thoroughly by the invading British troops as they found it
immoral and disgusting.  Funny thing...it was a Brit who gave us our
first translation into English of the Kama Sutra!

Kiri