[Sca-cooks] I'm back

kingstaste at mindspring.com kingstaste at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 20 07:32:19 PDT 2004

Hi gang,
	Just wanted to drop a note saying I was back from the war.  The first few
messages that have come across my email since signing back on have been
interesting, adult toys made out of bread and Sir R. Burton's erotica - hm,
much better topics for Pennsic-Slow-Time discussions than Twinkies!
	I came home early because I'm trying to get employment opportunities going,
and got a call this morning for an interview in about an hour.  A technical
college is sending out culinary teachers to local high schools to help them
with technical school prep.  It's a bit of a drive but it might still be a
good job, so we'll see.  I offered two classes to home school kids yesterday
and got zero takers for the "Understanding Natural Foods" class, but have 9
kids signed up (and paid) for "Exploring the Middle Ages".  Now I have to
come up with personas for each of them before next Thursday!  I'm looking
forward to that one, it should be lots of fun.
	I was packing up during the cook's pot-luck so I only saw folks briefly,
but it was nice.  I got to go on another Weed Walk with Baroness Sadira, and
that was informative as usual.  I played with sugar plate and marzipan at
Olwen's camp a bit on the first Monday, we made several things that were
going to the Newcomer's Reception.  I got a private lesson on the
Anglo-Saxon Lyre from Master Dove, that was very cool and now I want one!  I
got to judge the Music Competition at the Chalkman last Friday, 23 acts!  It
was lots of fun.
	All in all, I managed to have several cool educational experiences without
ever setting foot in a classroom once, which was a different kind of Pennsic
experience for me, but then it was a very different kind of Pennsic for me
altogether.  I got there and realized that with all the flux and change
going on in my life recently, Pennsic was the most normal, stable,
continuous thing that was going to happen to me all year!  Coming to that
realization early on made the rest of my stay very theraputic, even causing
me to hit the Pennsic snooze button and come home two days later than I had
originally planned.
	Hope all is well in your various kitchens, I'm off to see about molding
young minds...
Christianna