[Sca-cooks] I'm back

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 20 08:05:02 PDT 2004

kingstaste at mindspring.com wrote:

>Hi gang,
>	Just wanted to drop a note saying I was back from the war.  The first few
>messages that have come across my email since signing back on have been
>interesting, adult toys made out of bread and Sir R. Burton's erotica - hm,
>much better topics for Pennsic-Slow-Time discussions than Twinkies!
>	I came home early because I'm trying to get employment opportunities going,
>and got a call this morning for an interview in about an hour.  A technical
>college is sending out culinary teachers to local high schools to help them
>with technical school prep.  It's a bit of a drive but it might still be a
>good job, so we'll see.  I offered two classes to home school kids yesterday
>and got zero takers for the "Understanding Natural Foods" class, but have 9
>kids signed up (and paid) for "Exploring the Middle Ages".  Now I have to
>come up with personas for each of them before next Thursday!  I'm looking
>forward to that one, it should be lots of fun.
>	I was packing up during the cook's pot-luck so I only saw folks briefly,
>but it was nice.  I got to go on another Weed Walk with Baroness Sadira, and
>that was informative as usual.  I played with sugar plate and marzipan at
>Olwen's camp a bit on the first Monday, we made several things that were
>going to the Newcomer's Reception.  I got a private lesson on the
>Anglo-Saxon Lyre from Master Dove, that was very cool and now I want one!  I
>got to judge the Music Competition at the Chalkman last Friday, 23 acts!  It
>was lots of fun.
>	All in all, I managed to have several cool educational experiences without
>ever setting foot in a classroom once, which was a different kind of Pennsic
>experience for me, but then it was a very different kind of Pennsic for me
>altogether.  I got there and realized that with all the flux and change
>going on in my life recently, Pennsic was the most normal, stable,
>continuous thing that was going to happen to me all year!  Coming to that
>realization early on made the rest of my stay very theraputic, even causing
>me to hit the Pennsic snooze button and come home two days later than I had
>originally planned.
>	Hope all is well in your various kitchens, I'm off to see about molding
>young minds...
>Christianna

Sounds like you had a great time.  I hope your job opportunity pans
out.  I also have a very positive iron in the fire.  I don't know
whether I told you guys or not, but the job with Booz Allen
evaporated...they hired a team lead and couldn't afford to have an
experienced person writing their documentation any more.  And this time
it really hurts as I can't collect unemployment.  However, Oracle Corp.
called me lat Friday about a curriculum developer job.  I had three
interviews on Monday with them, lasting a total of about 3 1/4 hours.
They seemed to go very well, and I got a call on Tuesday (after their
telling me it would be the end of this week/beginning of next week
before they called back) setting up a fourth interview, this time with
the Director of the group...for yesterday.  That one lasted about an
hour and twenty minutes.  I'm told that this is an unusually long
interview, and that, because she was willing to spend that much time
talking with me, that it looks pretty good.  So I've got my fingers
crossed...she said they'd get back to me next week.  This is the one I
really want...going back to a company I've already worked for, to a job
that is definitely more stable...and NOT a contracting job!!

Wecome home everyone...glad it was a great time!

Kiri