[Sca-cooks] Nicholas Flamel

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 25 08:21:15 PDT 2004

a5foil wrote:

 >And part of my library is labelled: Divination --Arithmancy -- Ancient
 >Runes -- Potions -- Herbology -- Charms. But (food content) I haven't yet
 >tracked down a copy of Charm Your Own Cheese ...

They say that Rennet sets cheese in the time it takes to say The Lord's
Prayer;  since that's only about 30 seconds, I'm not sure this will work.

Here is a Hogmany verse from the Carmina Gadelica, with cheese content:
http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/corpus/Carmina/B65.html

Apart from that, any good charm or prayer to St. Bridget, patroness of
dairy working, will probably do.  For it is truly said, "Blessed are the
Cheesemakers"!

>Well, yes, Voldy is half-blood -- remember, the Riddles are definitely
>Muggles. I don't remember where it is mentioned that his dad bugged out
>after finding out that he'd married a witch. But as far as Harry's
>inheritance, I just figured that James was an Auror, and Aurors have to make
>good money, or at least substantial hazard pay. But you're right, his
>parents probably had money as well.
>
>Cynara

JKR has already stated that the HBP is neither Harry nor Voldie.

Thinking like an onomastics herald for a moment:  the name "Potter"
sounds like a rather earthly vocational surname.  So is there a Muggle
g'g'g'grandfather back there?  Or is that a rather baroque reference to
an ancient incident involving a pot in a magical situation, such as
containing a dangerous djinn inside a ceramic amphora during the
Crusades?  I just made that up, by the way.

Selene