[Sca-cooks] Nicholas Flamel

Laura C. Minnick lcm at jeffnet.org
Wed Aug 25 13:10:52 PDT 2004

At 08:21 AM 8/25/2004, you wrote:

>Thinking like an onomastics herald for a moment:  the name "Potter" sounds
>like a rather earthly vocational surname.  So is there a Muggle
>g'g'g'grandfather back there?  Or is that a rather baroque reference to an
>ancient incident involving a pot in a magical situation, such as
>containing a dangerous djinn inside a ceramic amphora during the
>Crusades?  I just made that up, by the way.
>
>Selene

  ISTR that Joanne said she chose the name Potter because it was so
completely ordinary- which fed her 'ordinary boy with extraordinary traits'
theme. She knew a family named Potter, and they were, well, ordinary...

I'm not sure about muggle ancestry in the Potter line- I got the idea that
James was pureblood. Lily of course was a muggle-born.

Something that has stuck in the back of my head though- is it just me or do
muggle-born and half-blood wizards seem to have somewhat irregular powers?
Lily was the 'most talented witch of her age'. Hermione clearly is very
powerful as well as clever. Seamus has erratic, uncontrolled magic. Justin,
Dean, and the Creevy boys acquit themselves well in DA. Harry is clearly
very powerful, as is Voldemort- both half-bloods. And who do de know who
can conjure with a broken wand hidden in an old pink umbrella?

I'm wondering if just a little of the pureblood prejudice against
muggle-borns and half-bloods is because their powers don't fit the
traditional boundaries? Are they a threat to status quo on several
different levels?

Just thinkin...

'Lainie
-in full work avoidance mode- laundry and floor-mopping await...