[Sca-cooks] OT & OOP: Greasecar?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Aug 25 11:35:25 PDT 2004

Being the farmer's daughter that I am (with a minor farm income even)
modern USDA farm policy does NOT pay people not to grow crops. This is a
myth. It is possible that
farmers in the arid west will in fact sell their water rights in the
future and not plant,
but that's water policy and land use policy-- not farm policy.
Also having soybean surpluses here at home now does not factor in the
eventual likelihood that the US will in the future be importing most of
its soybeans from Brazil because soybeans grown in Brazil are cheaper!
Don't talk about used vegetable oils replacing gas or diesel-- think
hydrogen.
And yes, nuclear does remain a viable technology with the generation IV
reactors  being designed right now and they will be built just like the
generation 3.5 reactors in Asia where they are building even now in
Japan and Korea. ( I'm
also the wife of an actual professor in Nuclear Engineering.)

Johnnae