[Sca-cooks] OT & OOP: Greasecar?

Joan Nicholson gryphon at a-glitch.com
Wed Aug 25 13:50:58 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius.magister at verizon.net>
To: <ysabeau at mail.ev1.net>; "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] OT & OOP: Greasecar?
<massive snip>

> >My theory is...The US is one of the largest producers of vegetable
> >oil, if not THE largest, we are paying the farmers to not plant
> >crops because there is such a surplus...so why not promote this as
> >an alternative, sustainable energy source? It would also keep the
> >used oil out of the environment, in a way. Instead of regular and
> >premium, you can have new or recycled.
>
> Yes, but THE MAN doesn't want you to stop using petroleum! ;-)
>
> Sorry, I just had an attack of the sixties...
>
> Adamantius (who, attack of the 60's notwithstanding, basically does
> believe that)

Remember when...  The manufacture of ethanol from corn was touted as the
next major energy source?  There were even, IIRC, vehicles powered by
ethanol and some ethanol stations.  My 60's paranoia seems to remember that
all the methods of production and the technology was purchased by Big Money
and never heard from again...

Prydwen, who also believes thusly.