[Sca-cooks] Food liscense for Taverns?

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Thu Aug 26 07:02:40 PDT 2004

That should depend entirely on the heath and tax codes of the local area.
In my neck of the woods (Stratford, Connecticut) a food merchant at a public event, even a temporary one day fundraiser booth at a street fair, must submit a written request and menu plan in advance, and be fully inspected and approved by the local health department on site, whereas selling food at a table at a private event, like a church social, does not need that.  Since most events are closed to the general public, the inspection and license process is usually not needed. But if we were to sell food at, say, the annual "Stratford Day" festival, that would be a completely different story.

The best place to ask is the local seneschal of the area where the event is taking place. That sort of legal nuance is their job to find out, if they dont already know.

First, though, I'd ask the autocrat of the event if such an arrangement is even possible.
For one reason or another (not all of them under control of the event staff) such stalls might not be allowed on site at all, which renders the rest of the excercise academic.

Capt Elias

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery