[Sca-cooks] tomato sauce documentation

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 26 08:40:28 PDT 2004

> I have heard rumor that sometime in the late 1500 the Italians made a sauce from tomatoes by cooking the "poisonous" beasties for 3 days....  Does anybody have docs on this.  I can surely bet somebody somewhere is going to want to use tomato sauce

It's not tomato sauce, per se. It sounds more like stewed tomatoes and/
or bruchetta/salsa, and it's from Gerard's Herbal, 1597:

"In Spaine and those hot Regions they vse to eat the Apples prepared and
boiled with pepper, salt, and oile: but they yeeld very little
nourishment to the bodie, and the same nought and corrupt. Likewise they
doe eat the Apples with oile, vineger and pepper mixed together for
sauce to their meate, euen as we in these cold Countries doe Mustard."

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"