[Sca-cooks] sauce competition

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at freescale.com
Wed Aug 25 16:17:50 PDT 2004

Samrah replied to me with:

Thanks Stefan! The rules are not yet written in stone. This is what I am contemplating:

Documentation required, but only to establish that 90% ingredients were period (ie check your favorite encyclopedia documentation), not your recipe. Documentation 10%-15% (haven't decided yet) to be determined by judges, balance of score determined by populace. I am concerned if the docs appear to be too important, it will scare beginners off. On the other hand, if you go to all the trouble to redact a recipe, you should get some sort of recognition/credit for it.
<<<<<
Yes, I was trying for an informal, non-intimidating contest, which is why I played it soft on the documentation. I was hoping to have an array of different period and periodoid sauces that the general populace could easily try and perhaps some would decide they liked one or two of the period sauces and would be interested in making some at home.

I do see a number of steps though between "only to establish that 90% [of the] ingredients were period" and "got to all the trouble to redact a recipe". The 10%-15% credit covers everything from using period ingredients, to using a redaction by someone else, using a good redaction from someone else, doing a redaction yourself, to doing a good redaction yourself. Another idea for this might be to have some side recognition or even prizes for the redaction you (or the judges) were most impressed with. This could be awarded even for a sauce that didn't taste as good as the one someone else did, but which won because it tasted better but was questionable as to being in a period style.

I suspect catsup might meet the 90$ rule, but I don't have a bottle handy to check the ingredients. :-) At the same time, I'm not sure I would want to disqualify a sauce that used pineapple juice, even though I doubt this was used in period in a sauce because the pineapple is a period fruit.

Stefan