[Sca-cooks] sauce competition

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Aug 26 08:52:36 PDT 2004

Samrah,

I have been really thinking about your intended competition, and I think I
may have come up with an idea or two that might help strongly encourage
periodicity, while encouraging those who are a bit nervous to give it a try.

How about if you were to publish a list of several basic period recipe
categories, with the originals they're based on- Camelline sauce, fruit
based sauces, garlic sauces, mustards, etc, with the list of ingredients as
specified by the original authors, and no measurements, except as specified
in the originals. You could include a competition for the best home made
modern sauce- anything goes-, but with the proviso that the entries in that
category can't be Grand Champion, but anyone who enters in one of the period
categories can be named Grand Champion. And, make sure the Grand Champion is
announced at Feast- maybe being given a seat at High Table.

Make some sort of token, for all those who win in their categories, and
something Really Special for the Grand Champion.

That way, you're getting the information out, how simple Real Period Sauces
are (Cameline sauce, from Taillevant- vinegar, water, spices, bread crumbs
for thickening), but still allowing those who are a bit shy, to fall back on
their favorite bbq or whatever sauce.

This way, the information is spread, the participants can play at any level
they choose (you might offer some of the odder things to be sent out to
participants- long pepper, for example, and if you have any). Make sure you
have a shill- someone, who upon Pain of Death will enter the period section
with Something, and even if no one else enters, when they win the Grand
Champion, the ones who only entered the modern category will all be saying
to themselves, "I coulda done that. And I will, next time!!!!"

And then, run the same contest at the next available opportunity.

Details- get everyone who enters names, addies, and if necessary, snail mail
addies, and next time, make up a special flyer, to specificly invite them to
enter the next one. Also, a list for those who didn't enter this time, but
express interest if it's ever done again.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

Saint of the Church of Debauchery, for a reason or two ;-)

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.

Never a horse that cain't be rode,