[Sca-cooks] Commercial Mustard ingredients.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Aug 26 10:37:35 PDT 2004

>      What about the tumeric?  I believe that's what give some of the commercial mustards that screaming-yellow color, and I don't recall tumeric on any Period European spice lists . . . That would at least take out *some* of the commercial mustards.

Well, actually, tumeric was imported to Europe at the end of period, and
it, and preservatives, probably don't add up to 10% of any given
commercial mustard.

The brown mustards mostly don't have tumeric in them.

By the way, should I start bringing Pear butter and "pear sweets"
(boiled pear juice) to events and handing them out? Everyone seems to
love Welserin's Pear mustard but says they can't get pear preserves.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"If the injustice ... is of such a nature that it requires you to be the
agent of injustice to another, then I say, break the law. Let your life be a
counter-friction to stop the machine. What I have to do is to see, at
any rate, that I do not lend myself to the wrong, which I condemn."
-- Thoreau, "Resistance to Civil Government"