[Sca-cooks] Hester Spoon Nuts

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Aug 26 17:09:58 PDT 2004

Also sprach caointiarn:
>  > I'm running the Hester Spoon contest for Angels Anniversary in a couple
>of weeks and I am advising entrants that all the ingredients have to be
>known to pre-Columbian Europe.  Period recipes a plus but not required.
>This is not all that difficult, is it?  The theme ingredient is "Nuts"
>>  since the event theme is A Feast Of Fools.
>>
>>  Selene, jester to the court of Angels
>
>     There are all kinds of recipes!  Take almonds for instance . . . . . .
>there's also hazelnuts/filberts, pignola, cashews,  and prolly others I
>can't remember.  All kinds of recipes from sauces to main dishes, to sides,
>to sweets.   Won't be difficult -- even for a beginner.
>
>Caointiarn

Maybe I missed the start of this one.

Off the top of my head, the nut varieties that seem to turn up in
period European recipes include walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds,
pignoles, pistachios, chestnuts, and there are written recipes for
all of them.

Post-Columbian, either New World or simply Old World but not really
known to period Europeans (or at least presumably without a lot of
Eastern or African documentation readily available to the likes of
us) might include cashews, peanuts, pecans, macadamias, and Brazil
nuts.

Incomplete lists drawn from memory, but enough to demonstrate that
the job is eminently doable.

Adamantius
Holt, 07/29/04