[Sca-cooks] mise-en-place

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Thu Aug 26 21:26:04 PDT 2004

Maggie MacDonald <maggie5 at cox.net> [2004.08.26] wrote:
> days.  At the start of the last feast that I cooked, I handed someone a
> miniature roll of oddly colored duct tape, and had them apply a small

I've used a regular (modrn) Dymo style label tape on stuff. It actually
sticks to stainless steel through dishwashing (both hand and commercial
machine) and I've even had stuff put into the oven with the tape on with
no ill effects. If there wasn't a significant lack of Sabatier knives in
most of the kitchens we use I would most likely get a diamond pen and
mark those as well.

> At all times there are 2-3 copies of the menu, the recipes, ingredient
> list, and the special notes available. One goes on the door of the kitchen
> for the inevitable question askers, and one is for me to refer to while in
> process. The ideal 3rd copy is on a clipboard/notebook for the helpers in
> the kitchen to refer to in case I misplace my copy.

I print out three copies, and one version with the dishes, their names
and all ingredients. The latter gets posted by the gate (or some other
logical place) and I ask the gate-people to tell the guests about it,
in particular all the ones that are allergic to anything. Of the other
three copies one is my reference copy, one goes on the
wall/fridge/door/etc in the kitchen (all times gets written there), and
the final one (which is printed one recipie per sheet) gets put into
individual (A4-size) plastic pockets. That way I can hand the person
working on the cuskynoles the recipie (both the original and my
interpretation, with weights & volumes) can have it handy, in an easy wipe
off state.

> I'm sure there are even more gems, but that is what I've learned to do.
> Separate ingredients and section them up in advance. Group them. MARK
> EVERYTHING. Make lists of everything.  Hell, I've even had lists of lists.

I tend to designate places for things; that corner has the spices, there
are my knives, etc.

One day I will make a portable cabinet, like the ones that carpenters
used to have, with all the gear I usually bring on site in designated
cubby-holes.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
The trouble with conspiracy theories are that they assume the government
is organized.