[Sca-cooks] Re: Mustard, wine issues, fruit sweets.

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Aug 26 23:39:36 PDT 2004

Ruth mentioned:
>        Finally, as for fruit sweets, I had very good luck once with an
> apple jelly candy recipe from _The Medieval Kitchen_ (don't remember
> which original source it was in, though) made from equal weights pureed
> fresh apples and honey, with spices added.  It took *forever* to cook
> down to the point where it would "gel" when it cooled (the mix has to
> be really coming away from the sides and bottom of the pan, and it has
> to be on high-medium heat and stirred constantly to keep it from
> burning, for, oh, a couple hours), but it was very, very good.
Is this a marmalade? Or more like a fruit leather? Or something else?

I also seem to remember comments about boiling down wine to make a
thick, sweetened sauce which could be used to sweeten other foods. I
don't believe additional honey or sugar was added to these, though.

For more on marmalades, for those who might be interested:
marmalades-msg    (76K)  6/18/04    Period marmalades and fruit jellies
and jams
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-SWEETS/marmalades-msg.html

Stefan
--------