[Sca-cooks] Fwd: [Elfsea] Idea for Cooking Contest

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Aug 27 13:08:54 PDT 2004

Also sprach -=The Seamus:
>This was on my local groups list... Thought It might give someone out
>there an Idea or just some laughs..
>

>-=S

Cool! It's an interesting idea. I suppose this is a bad time to
mention that Salisbury Steak is one of very few such dishes where we
can pretty confidently trace its origin, and the origin of its name,
to Dr. James Salisbury, a nineteenth-century precursor to Dr. Atkins,
whose experiments appeared to show that illnesses on the part of some
Union soldiers in the American Civil War were traceable to a diet
consisting almost entirely of carbohydrates... his curative regimen,
which enjoyed considerable vogue for nearly 75 years after the end of
the War, was known as The Salisbury Diet, and an important element of
it was a particular scraped beefsteak dish.

Made according to Salisbury's recipe, it's actually quite delicious.
Unfortunately, school and hospital food services don't appear to
follow that recipe ;-).

Adamantius

Holt, 07/29/04