[Sca-cooks] Chinese Cookery Books

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 01:50:44 PDT 2004

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/library/spcoll/spprint/21200.html.
>  I don't know if
> any are in period or close to period but those
> with knowledge of Chinese
> might want to visit their website and explore.
> Are any of these books
> useful for SCA purposes?

>From what I could tell, being a librarian but not
reading Chinese, all the Chinese books there
are from the 20th Century.  I copy/pasted a few
titles and checked them with the Library of
Congress and confirmed to my satisfaction that
these are modern titles.

But looking at other items listed under "Cookery"
they seem to have several 16th Century copies of
Apicius.  They have several other 16th Century
books listed under "Cookery" that aren't about
cookery.

> While there is e-mail contact with the Library,
> if there is anything you
> need done in person, I could try to do it while
> I am at the Library on 16
> September for a few hours.

I suppose I shouldn't ask this, but why are
you going to this library?  What do they have
in their collection that interests you?

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.