[Sca-cooks] Brotherton Library and York: Was: Chinese Cookery Books

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 28 11:18:58 PDT 2004

I am a complete and utter idiot.  I only looked
at the section that you sent the link to.  I
should have gone to the complete catalog and
done the browsing that I just spent three hours
doing.  What a collection!  I found quite a few
original works in their collection that I have
never seen before.  They have books that need
to be republished for their potential
information.

I am so happy for you for this opportunity.  I
wish that I could do things like this too.

I did check more thoroughly on the Chinese books
that were listed in the catalog.  There are
several texts that are on the history of Chinese
foodways.  But none, as far as I can see are
from period sources, but I could be wrong about
this.  Not having seen that list you mentioned
kind of limits me.

I did however discover six period Chinese
texts in the Library of Congress, and two which
may or may not be but I included just in case,
which I could not find in the Brotherton Library.

They are:

Jia, Sixie, 6th cent.
Main Title: Qi min yao shu. Yin shi bu fen / Jia
Sixie zhuan ; Shi Shenghan jin shi.
Edition Information: Di 1 ban.
Published/Created: Beijing : Zhongguo shang ye
chu ban she, 1984.
Related Names: Shi, Shenghan.
Subjects: Cookery, Chinese--Early works to 1800.
Series: Zhongguo peng ren gu ji cong kan

Ni, Zan, 1301-1374.
Main Title: Yunlin tang yin shi zhi du ji /
Ni Zan zhuan ; Qiu Pangtong zhu shi.
Edition Information: Di 1 ban.
Published/Created: [Peking] : Zhongguo shang ye
chu ban she : Xin hua shu dian Beijing fa xing
suo fa xing, 1984.
Related Names: Qiu, Pangtong.
Subjects: Cookery, Chinese--Early works to 1800.
Series: Zhongguo peng ren gu ji cong kan

Han, Yi, 1328-1412?
Main Title: Yi ya yi yi / Han Yi zhuan ; Qiu
Pangtong zhu shi.
Edition Information: Di 1 ban.
Published/Created: [Peking] : Zhongguo shang ye
chu ban she : Xin hua shu dian Beijing fa xing
suo fa xing, 1984.
Related Names: Qiu, Pangtong.
Subjects: Cookery, Chinese--Early works to 1800.
Series: Zhongguo peng ren gu ji cong kan

Gao, Lian, 16th cent.
Main Title: Yin zhuan fu shi jian / Gao Lian.
Edition Information: Di 1 ban.
Published/Created: Chengdu : Ba shu shu she :
Sichuan sheng xin hua shu dian fa xing, 1985.
Subjects: Cookery, Chinese--Early works to 1800.

Li, Yu, 1611-1680?
Main Title: Xian qing ou ji. Yin zhuan bu / Li Yu
zhu ; Ye Dingguo zhu shi.
Edition Information: Di 1 ban. Published/Created:
[Peking] : Zhongguo shang ye chu ban she : Xin
hua shu dian Beijing fa xing suo fa xing, 1984.
Related Names: Ye, Dingguo.
Subjects: Cookery, Chinese--Early works to 1800.
Series: Zhongguo peng ren gu ji cong kan

Zhu, Yizun, 1629-1709.
Main Title: Shi xian hong mi / Zhu Yizun zhuan ;
Qiu Pangtong zhu shi.
Edition Information: Di 1 ban.
Published/Created: Beijing : Zhongguo shang ye
chu ban she : Xin hua shu dian Beijing fa xing
suo fa xing, 1985.
Related Names: Qiu, Pangtong.
Subjects: Cookery, Chinese--Early works to 1800.
Series: Zhongguo peng ren gu ji cong kan

Main Title: Insenshosh¯u.
Published/Created: 52 [1977]
Related Names: Nakamura, Yokihiko, 1911-
Notes: Romanized.
Subjects: Cookery, Japanese--Early works to 1800.

Cookery, Chinese--Early works to 1800.
Confectionery--Japan--Early works to 1800.
Tobacco.
Series: Dait¯oky¯u Kinen Bunko zempon s¯okan :
Kinseihen ; 10.

Nakamura, Sh¯ohachi, 1926-
Main Title: Shokkei.
Published/Created: 1978.
Related Names: Sat¯o, Tatsuzen, joint author.
Chü chia pi yung shih lei ch`üan chi. Japanese &
Chinese. 1978.
Hu-ssu-hui. Yin shan cheng yao. Japanese &
Chinese. 1978.
Notes: Romanized.
Subjects: Hu-ssu-hui. Yin shan cheng yao.
Diet--China.
Nutrition--Early works to 1800.
Chü chia pi tung shih lei ch`üan chi.
Cookery, Chinese--Early works to 1800.
Series: Ch¯ugoku koten shinsho.

So, you should send you friends to Washington,
DC if they can read Chinese.

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.