[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP Email viruses (was Re: OT: Cindy Renfrew, please)

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 30 08:50:04 PDT 2004

Actually, I think that perhaps Deb's e-mail
carrier could be the problem.  I have received
quite a few virus laden messages spoofing both
Cindy's and Dr. Gloning's addresses.  When I look
at the full headers it indicates that they
actually have come from Deb's/Kathryn's address.
Since Deb's home computer is down and her work
one is scrubbed twice a day, perhaps the problem
is with her provider?  I know little about how
viruses work, but I wonder do they usually
do double spoofs?

Huette

--- Avraham haRofeh
<avrahamharofeh at herald.sca.org> wrote:

> >> HI. No, they weren't from me. FWIW, I've
> been bombarded by dozens of
> >> spam messages with attachments from Deb
> Hense. And yes, as Moderator
> >> I've been getting loads of bounced messages
> being sent to the FMP from
> >> spammers. I trust you haven't been receiving
> them?
> >
> > I'm sorry you're getting spam reportedly from
> me.  I know that my
> > personal machine at home has been offline
> since the beginning of the
> > summer when lighting got the modem.  I
> haven't gotten around to replacing
> > it yet since I can use the machine at work.
> >
> > My address may have been hijacked.  My
> machine here at work is clean - we
> > run heavy duty scubbers on it.  Updated twice
> a day.
>
> Most modern email viruses are "spoofers". When
> someone gets infected, it
> uses his/her address book as the source to
> generate its phony origin line.
> Deb is (obviously) not responsible for the
> virus-laden emails Cindy's
> getting; someone who had Deb in his/her address
> book is the infected
> machine, and you will really not be able to
> figure out who.
>
> As a general rule in the modern age of virus
> writing, the person purportedly
> sending the bad email probably didn't.

> Reb Avraham haRofeh
>      (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
> Quarterly azure and argent, four mascles
> counterchanged
> Random Tag: Who says Goddesses have to be
> anorexic?

=====
shall never cease to be amused.