[Sca-cooks] OT/OOP Email viruses (was Re: OT: Cindy Renfrew, please)

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 30 12:45:00 PDT 2004

>Actually, I think that perhaps Deb's e-mail
>carrier could be the problem.  I have received
>quite a few virus laden messages spoofing both
>Cindy's and Dr. Gloning's addresses.  When I look
>at the full headers it indicates that they
>
>Huette

Nowadays, in many virus mails, the actual sender is not really
indicated by the address, even the complete address, although in the
past you could sometimes tell where it came from.

I've gotten virus mails from "myself", from an address that i do not
have in my address book and that i haven't used for about 5 years and
which ISP has been out of business for almost that long (and yes, i'm
looking at the complete long headers, not just the short simple
headers one usually sees in e-mail). So i know that the virus mail
spoofers have gotten more clever.

Chances are good it's is using Deb's address from someone's address
book and it isn't her ISP who is culpable.

Anahita
who doesn't even use M$ OS, browser, or e-mail.