[Sca-cooks] Chef::: was ::: good brands of vinegar

Heleen Greenwald heleen at ptdprolog.net
Tue Aug 31 09:23:42 PDT 2004

Hi Jadwiga,
We ate at a Macaroni Grill in Baltimore for my birthday last year. The portions were huge so hubby and I split an entrée. We had chicken, spaghetti with some sort of red sauce and veggies. I thought everything was great.

Now 2 questions:
1) a Sous-chef runs the daily workings of a commercial kitchen , yes? While 'the CHEF' makes the menus and tells the staff how to prepare a dish... am I right in thinking this?

2) Did you ever see the Brit com  *CHEF*? Starring Lennie Henry as the domineering chef.  Very funny Brit-com....well, anyway..... When a patron's order comes into the kitchen on a piece of paper, he  (the chef character) says
"samash" - at least that is what I am hearing.... Then the person who is going to prepare the dish, shouts out " yes chef"...  I have always wondered what 'samash' means.
Thanks!
Phillipa