[Sca-cooks] Re: Good brands of vinegar

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Tue Aug 31 17:16:21 PDT 2004

Gianotta said:

> Reminds me of Sunday dinners around the table; after sopping the bread in
the rough red homemade vinegar, my cousin Laura would go into the kitchen
and grab the bottle of artisanal balsamic my Uncle John had stashed away in
there, and my Uncle John would notice and start yelling at her for wasting
such expensive vinegar <g>.

***Once I was visiting in a place that did as much as possible with natural
low toxicity cleaning agents.  Our work group was assigned one of the  first
lunch cleanups.  We dutifully followed the list for cleanup and where to put
things back.  When we got to the end, we were supposed to clean all the
counters and tabletops with vinegar.  I looked in all the cabinets and all I
could find was basalmic vinaigrette.  We all looked at it and each other
thinking "surely NOT."  Then thoughts of Marie Antoinette flashed into my
mind and I said  "... hmm...Let them wash their tables with balsamic
vinegar." We all cracked up laughing and then went to find someone who could
get us some cleaning vinegar.

>> You need a homemade wine with preservatives to make vinegar;

***Just to double check, you mean without preservatives, right?  At what
point in the winemaking process does the vinegar mother get added?

> Red wine vinegar in my grandmother's house was made from the infamous
"dago red" my grandpa made (my uncle took over winemaking duties when my
grandpa died. Grandpa had built the house with a cave; it had the barrels
for the wine and the barrel for the vinegar. It also had Grandpa's still,
where he made the rocket fuel, um, I mean, grappa.

***Wow, sounds like a wonderful place...a good selection of the important
facilities....  Is your uncle keeping the same strains of wine and vinegar
beasties going as your grandpa had?

Sharon
gordonse at one.net