[Sca-cooks] good brands of vinegar

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Tue Aug 31 18:39:29 PDT 2004

It depends so much on what you are using the vinegar for. If the vinegar
flavor isn't going to come through in the finished dish, it doesn't much
matter; if it is, you have to get one with a flavor that complements the
dish -- sort of like cooking with wine. I have a big cardboard box full of
different vinegars. It is fun to go someplace like Williams Sonoma where
they have varieties out to taste -- I've come home with some high-end stuff
that way.

For home cooking I use Pompeian red wine vinegar, a house brand cider
vinegar, and whatever white wine vinegar I can get hold of. For a while I
could get Four Monks brand at the local market, but they've stopped carrying
it, at least at the stores I can get to easily.

Cynara