[Sca-cooks] OT - need help with low/noncarb snacks.

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 09:40:25 PST 2004

Hey, folks,
As some of you know, I've recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
While I've been able to keep my sugars down, it seems I'm not getting enough
calories and my ketones are going up.  If I can't get it under control with
diet, I'll have to go on insulin for the duration of my pregnancy, which I don't
want to do.  I know there are a bunch of folks on here with experience with
low-carb diets, and I thought you might be able to help.  Whether the food is
period or not doesn't matter, as we aren't planning on attending any events
before the baby is born.  Therefore, if you'd reply privately, that would
probably be best.

My current allowed levels are 3 servings of carbs (15 gm/serving) per meal
and a mid-morning and midafternoon snack containing 1 carb serving and one
protein serving.  My evening snack has already been trimmed to a protein serving
only, as my fasting sugars have been slightly high.

What I need are suggestions for either snacks containing 1 carb and one
protein, but relatively high calorie; or non-carb (translated as 5 gm of carbs or
less) snacks that I could add to my midmorning and mid-afternoon carb and
protein snacks.  I'm only allowed a 2-3 servings of artificial sweetners per day as
they are not sure of the effect of these on the baby.
It would also be helpful if they are things that can be eaten out of hand, as
I often have to sneak them in while driving from one work site to another.

Many thanks for any help you can give, and I'll try to keep the ensuing
discussion off-list as much as possible.

Brangwayna