[Sca-cooks] Re: OT - need help with low/noncarb snacks.

Stephen Bloch sbloch at adelphi.edu
Wed Dec 1 12:00:47 PST 2004

>As some of you know, I've recently been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.
>While I've been able to keep my sugars down, it seems I'm not getting enough
>calories and my ketones are going up.  If I can't get it under control with
>diet, I'll have to go on insulin for the duration of my pregnancy,
>which I don't
>want to do.  I know there are a bunch of folks on here with experience with
>low-carb diets, and I thought you might be able to help.  Whether the food is
>period or not doesn't matter, as we aren't planning on attending any events
>before the baby is born.  Therefore, if you'd reply privately, that would
>probably be best.

I'm going to reply on the list, because this one IS (mostly) period,
as well as incredibly useful and convenient.  We've been making Le
Menagier's spinach tarts (usually using Cariadoc & Elizabeth's
redaction in the Miscellany) for years, but after we started
low-carbing a year and a half ago, we tried omitting the crust and
just pouring the filling into a non-stick muffin pan.  The baking
time decreases to 15-20 minutes.  The amount of filling in Cariadoc &
Elizabeth's redaction, which fills one deep-dish pie crust, also
conveniently fills a dozen muffin cups.  The resulting tartlets can
be easily eaten out of hand, and go well on a potluck buffet table
too.

I haven't worked out the carb, protein, fat, and calorie counts, but
the main ingredients are eggs and cheese, i.e. plenty of protein and
calories, with essentially no carbs.

In addition, several people have asked for my low-carb bread recipe
(which is NOT particularly period).  I've just Webbed it; see
http://www.adelphi.edu/sbloch/low-carb-bread.shtml .

I hope this helps, Brangwayna!  Stay healthy!
--
                                     John Elys
          (the artist formerly known as mar-Joshua ibn-Eleazar ha-Shalib)
                                 sbloch at adelphi.edu